Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Hypocrite + Environment = Liar Liar Pants on Fire!

I'm all for the environment. I do my part, but am not an activist. I will not hound you to do your part, because everyone has different views on global warming and pollution. I don't know about global warming...but I do know that pollution does something to our planet, so I will continue to do my part. I compost, purchase organic food, in the summer I grow a lot of my own veggies or will purchase them from the farmer's market. I walk to work when I can, or car pool, I recycle, leave the grass clippings on the lawn, don't use herbicides or fertilizer and I try and choose products that will help me leave a smaller environmental foot print.

Well, now to the point. I recently was introduced to a cleaning product that is good for the
environment, safe for your family and an extremely strong cleaner. I sent the company an e-mail asking some questions and receive a very extensive reply telling me all about how wonderful the product is and how amazing it is for the environment. Later that week I see someone driving around advertising the same product ...driving an H3!!! I write down his phone number and call him asking more questions. He goes on for half an hour explaining the environmental impact of using toxic cleaners and how wonderful their stuff is and blah blah blah blah blah... Finally, I say to the guy, "Your product sounds great, too good to be true. However, I refuse to buy an environmentally friendly product, from a guy who drives one of the most unfriendly vehicles for the environment. Doesn't that make you a hypocrite?" His "uh, well uh" response was enough and I hung up.

Give me a break, learn to preach what you sell. If you are boasting your product is
environmentally friendly, you will attract a certain type of customer. A type that will detest you for your actual vehicle choice and will no longer believe what you say. I just took a walk on my lunch break, and walked by the gas station down the street. They just installed brand new pumps that say in huge letters "MOTHER NATURE'S FUEL". I'm pretty sure mother nature would walk to where she needed to go...or float or something. AND, to top it off, the guy was wiping the pumps down with extremely toxic cleaners, spilling everywhere to be later hosed into the sewers, then our rivers. After he walks over to his overflowing dumpster (filled with paper and other recyclable items) and throws the paper towel on the top.

Live how you want, just don't try to tell me one thing while showing me another. It is like the parents who tell their kids not to smoke...as they take a drag on their cigarette. Or the unwed teenage mother, trying to explain to her kids the importance of being in love and even married. This guy, who drives a vehicle that gets 12-16MPG, is lecturing me about my environmental foot print? Uh huh. When it comes to business, that's general marketing knowledge and ethics. Otherwise...it's common sense!

No comments: